The Messenger of Peace is the fifth chapel car built for the American Baptist Publication Society, and is now the centerpiece exhibit inside the Train Shed exhibit building at the Northwest Railway Museum in Snoqualmie, Washington. Delivered in May 1898, car 5 had a colorful career that saw service throughout the Pacific Northwest, two years of service with the Railroad YMCA, six months on exhibit at the St Louis World's Fair, and even carried the ailing Reverend Dwight L. Moody on his final trip home. The Messenger of Peace is well-traveled!
The Messenger of Peace was the subject of an extensive rehabilitation and restoration that was substantially complete in 2013, but "minor" work has continued as it slowly regains all the distinguishing features of its former self. The latest effort was a repainting performed by Redmond, Washington-based RC Painting and Sons.
Some minor car body repairs, additional fairing of the surfaces, a coat of primer, and two coats of chapel car green have now been applied. Work was supported in part with grants from the American Baptist Home Missions Societies, The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Washington, and individuals. This "final" coat of paint is now allowing the chapel car to be lettered for its period of significance when it served both the American Baptist Publication Society and Home Mission Society. And the car is now regularly accessible as part of regularly-scheduled weekend train excursions at the Northwest Railway Museum.