6 wheel wood, steel reinforced
Later this month inside the Conservation and Restoration Center, the chapel car 5 Messenger of Peace will be married to its new trucks, which are special frames with wheels, bearings, and brakes. The trucks (we think, based on castings and other details) date from circa 1901 and will get some new parts, are in a sense borrowed, and will be carbon black. So how appropriate to now look at the origins of those trucks and how they compare to the originals.
Messenger of Peace was built by Barney and Smith of Dayton, Ohio in 1898. The car was one of the longest cars built to that date and incorporated all the latest design advances. It included 6 wheel trucks reinforced with steel flatbars on either side of the oak frame members. Sadly, those original trucks were (we believe) scrapped in 1948 when the car was repurposed as a roadside diner.
The Museum has several railroad cars it has been holding to provide parts for others. While most were originally acquired for the Collection, they were later removed either because they were redundant or because they were in very poor condition. They provide couplers, brakes, hardware, and even wood moldings to make objects in the Collection more complete.
Imhoff Crane lifts the X-127 while the
Museum's Pettibone exchanged the
A late nineteenth Century car called the X-127 was one such car. It was outfitted with trucks of the same design that the chapel car was built with and they are in great shape. They received some structural upgrades circa 1927, but are visually nearly identical to the originals. Earlier this month, Snoqualmie’s own Imhoff Crane set up at the CRC and made quick work of the truck exchange. They lifted the car one end at a time and replaced the original trucks with a set of shop trucks the Museum uses to move projects around.
So something old (the chapel car), something new (new center plates), something borrowed and something carbon black (black trucks from another car) will be in the marriage of chapel car 5 and its trucks. Later, Spike will post some marriage photos along with the circa 1902 photo taken at Novinger, MO that has been used to rehabilitate the car.
Perhaps only to a curator's eye, this is a classic wood-era
passenger car truck